Friday, June 12, 2009

The Rubiks Cube

I would go so far as to say that most people find the Rubik's Cube a complete mystery and anyone who can solve is a magician and capable of things no human should be. Well, maybe not that last part, but my point is that people tend to freak when you show them you can do it, even more so when you can do so in a relatively short period of time, like say, a minute or two. After being invented in 1974 (patented in 1975) by Ernő Rubik, a Hungarian university professor and architect, as a tool to teach his students about 3D objects/structures, a solution to it wasn't widely published until 1981.
A booklet entitled ‘You Can Do the Cube’ was produced by Patrick Bossert, a 12-year-old schoolboy from England.

Anyway, for those of you who've seen me solve a Rubik's Cube with any period of time that could be considered recent, ie the last 2 years or so, you've probably seen me solve it in less than two minutes. I average about 1:15, but my personal record is 60 seconds. This is only after months of relentlessly practicing, refining the solution algorithm, or series of patterns, increasing my manual dexterity to bring my Rubik solving prowess to this level. This is more personally impressive. it's far less impressive taking the world record of 7.09 seconds into account. and then I found twenty dollars. just kidding, but it wouldn't be a bad closing point to this blog. It's definitely better than ending on how much I suck compared to the best cubers.

No comments:

Search This Blog, For Crap You Thought You Saw, But Couldn't Find